The following are the most frequent boating law violations compiled by the Michigan Marine Publications.
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs):
- Not the proper types of PFDs on boats
- No type IV (throwables) on boats over 16 feet
- Insufficient number for passengers aboard
- Not readily available or accessible
- Not the proper size (especially for children)
- Not being worn by children 6 years and under
- Fire Extinguisher requirements not met:
- None aboard
- Not serviceable
- Not the proper type
- Most Common Registration Violations:
1. Certificate of registration not aboard.
2. Improper display of numbers (location, size, spacing).
3. Failure to transfer ownership within 15 days of sale.