The following are the most frequent boating law violations compiled by the Michigan Marine Publications, based on interviews with experienced law enforcement officials.
- Skiing, tubing, or towing without a proper observer.
- Excessive noise, both on water and on the shoreline.
- Coming closer than 100 feet to docks, boats, swimmers, and other provisions of the 100 foot rule. (PERSONAL WATERCRAFT ARE FREQUENT VIOLATORS.)
- Lights not displayed between sunset and sunrise or not using proper red/green bow light and all around white light.
- Operating a Personal Watercraft after sunset.