Big​ ​Whitefish​ ​Lake​ ​Association

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
May 13, 2019

Called to order 7:00 PM

Roll call: Buyze, Dykhouse, Van Timmeren, Cornelius, Rohen, Moore, Szymczak, Walker, Smith, Walker. Absent: Root.

March BOD meeting minutes: Approved (Rohen/Symczak)

Treasurers Report: Approved (Fish/Cornelius).
At this time collection of dues a bit behind last year. Board members will go door-to-door seeking dues from list of those not paid. Smith to provide list of unpaid residents by May 20.

Ecology: Brad Quist had a terrific report of the MLSA meeting he attended at Crystal Mountain. Report and discussion surrounding the lake water quality and pro-active measures the Ecology Committee is taking to measure nutrients in the lake and other baseline measurements, control of weeds and weed mapping, keeping swans and seagulls off the lake, scoring the shoreline, boat launch/boat wash and more. Ecology Committee members will all have assigned roles in this process and we would like more volunteers (meeting planned for June 1 after the lake association meeting). Goal is to avoid the need for a sonar treatment. Looking into a grant to reimburse the $1500 permit fee PLM pays on our behalf to treat the lake. Dam will be put in place after May 15.

Committees:

Meet and Mingle: Cheryl Stormzand has volunteered to manage the event for 2019. Details in the 2019 Directory.
Fun Run/Walk: Zone C to provide volunteers/organization for 2019 event. Rohen reports trophies have been ordered. Age 65 and up category added.
Fireworks: Buyze has signed permits. Looking for help towing pontoons with fireworks into position on the lake.
Directory: Jeff Moore is on track for this year’s directory with the goal of distributing the book by June 1 at the association meeting.

Sewer update: The BWLA will wait for Township request for information from the County before taking next step.
Assessment: things moving ahead: information presented and vote planned at June 1 association meeting.
Landfill: still waiting for results from new test wells (west of 131). Another test well has been drilled near Bass Lake Rd and Hillis Rd.
Boat Landing: new signs have been produce and will be installed soon.
Communication Policy: discussion about content on lake website, emails and other social media. Motion made to limit communication to lake information only. Approved (Van Timmeren/Cornelius). Further discussion on updating by-laws to include current language needed.

Spring Meeting: moved to Pierson Township Hall on June 1 at 9am. Board members to report at 8:30 for set up.
Summer Board and Volunteer picnic date:: August 24.

Next Board meeting: June 10 (Fish).

Motion to adjourn: approved 8:23 (Smith/Dykhouse)
Submitted by Ron Van Timmeren, Secretary